|Project||External Wall Insulation, Flintshire County Council|
Flintshire County Council commissioned us to investigate the use of External Wall Insulation for two 1930’s traditional semi-detached properties to be completed under the CESP funded programmes.
Both properties were privately owned and receiving excessive heating bills due to them not having insulation on their external walls. As the properties had no cavity to fill, external wall insulation was the perfect solution.
Following a thorough survey, we were asked to install the External Wall Insulation using the Sto-mix EWI system. An overview of the process of install is listed below:
- A 3 tier scaffold system was erected to allow safe access to both properties and all wall furniture was removed from the outside of the property including: Satellite Dishes, Water Pipes, Door Alarms, and House Alarms etc.
- The insulation boards were then placed and bonded onto the external walls. The boards are shaped around the windows and doors of the property to ensure that we achieved a flush and neat finish.
- The boards were then rendered with a ‘scrim’ coat and into this a fine rein-forced mesh was inserted. The role of this mesh is to prevent the final rendered finish from cracking in the future.
- The ‘scrim’ coat was painted with an undercoat to provide a colour-free, stable base, ready for a final coat of render. The properties were finished in two separate colours, these are just samples of the hundreds of coloured silicone finishes which are available.
- The silicone render gives the properties a clean, fresh and distinctive look whilst retaining many of the original features and much of the character. This solution, in addition to the dash and brick affect finishes which are available, benefit the homeowner by providing a maintenance free finish for many years to come.
- New rainwater goods and all of the previous wall furniture was attached/re-attached to the properties and following a thorough clean down the scaffolding was dismantled.
- Both properties were completed on budget and installation, from start to finish, took only 2 weeks.